If you’re a gambler in India, you’ve probably heard about a game called Satta Matka. If not, maybe it’s alternate names will jog your memory — matka gambling or satta. If not, you’re in for a treat. This lottery game is worth trying and might just become your new favourite.
|“Satta Matka is easy to understand and even easier to play.”|
It was introduced back in the 1970s and was the most popular up until the 1990s. But to this day, it’s quite popular in many pockets of India and Pakistan. However, the way it’s played has changed quite a lot. Today, you can play Satta Matka online in the comfort of your home. Just fire up your desktop or take out your mobile and you can start playing any time, anywhere; all you need is a stable internet connection.
You can play Satta Matka online and make some impressive gains. It’s easy to play and even easier to understand. You can choose a convenient payment option and bet with real money as well. So continue reading and learn about the origins, the rules, and tips to play Satta Matka.
About Satta Matka: What is it?
Satta Matka spawned from an even older game called “Ankada Jugar”. In Hindi, Ankada means number and Jugar means to arrange, roughly translating to “figures gambling” in English. It involved betting on the opening and closing rates of cotton in the New York Cotton Exchange. These rates would be transmitted to Bombay Cotton Exchange via teleprinters and players would try to guess them prior to their announcement.
However, in 1961, the New York Cotton Exchange stopped the practice and killed this game. Punters were on the lookout for alternative ways to keep their business alive when Ratan Khatri introduced the idea of declaring the opening and closing rates of imaginary products. Everyone jumped on the idea and Satta Matka was born.
Numbers were written on small pieces of paper and put into an earthen pot known in Hindi as matka. Players would then place their bets and one person would draw a chit from the matka to declare the winning numbers. If you go to play Satta Matka today, you won’t find numbers being drawn from an earthen pot, instead playing cards are used for this function. This change took place over the years but the name Matka stuck and is used even today.
During its initial stages, Satta Matka was so popular that several lotteries were created to cater to the players. For example, the Worli Matka was started by Kalyanji Bhagat in 1962. Two years later, the New Worli Matka was introduced by Rattan Khatri with slight modifications to the rules of the game. As more mill workers played matka, bookies started opening their shops near mill areas and Central Mumbai became the hub of the matka business.
From this matka business, many people profited, but the people who had won the greatest were called Matka Kings.
Born in a farming family in Kutch, Gujarat, Kalyanji’s family name was Gala and the name Bhagat, a modification of bhakt, was a title given to their family by the King of Kutch for their religiousness.
He arrived as a migrant in Bombay in 1941. Initially, he did odd jobs like selling spices and managing grocery stores. But in the 1960s, while running a grocery shop in Worli, he pioneered matka gambling. He accepted players’ bets on the opening and closing rates of the New York Cotton Exchange.
Another Matka King, Rattan Khatri operated from the early 1960s to the mid-1990s. He controlled a nationwide gambling network that was responsible for entertaining several lakh punters and dealt with crores of rupees.
Rattan Khatri also started by accepting bets on the fluctuating cotton rates of New York’s cotton market. However, compulsive bettors started looking for alternative gambling options due to a row over a winning number and short 5-day schedule of the New York market.
That’s when Rattan Khatri started his own syndicate for matka gambling. He started using playing cards to draw the day’s numbers, which was instantly likened by players for its genuineness. He became popular for drawing the numbers in front of the patrons. Though Khatri has retired from the gambling business, he still visits the Mahalaxmi Racecourse to bet on his favourite horses.
Watch our cricket betting space here.
Satta Matka Terminology – Popular Matka Words
Before we head over to the rules of the game, let’s look at some common terms used in Satta Matka. They’ll be handy in understanding the game quickly.
- Matka – Matka is the Hindi word for an earthen pot. While used mostly for drawing and storing water, they were also used for drawing the numbers in the earlier versions of Satta Matka.
- Single – Any digit between 0 and 9 which is used in betting.
- Jodi – Also known as a “Pair”, any pair of digits between 00 and 99 used in matka.
- Patti – A Patti is when a three-digit result is obtained. While all three-digit numbers are called as Patti, only a limited number of three-digit numbers are used at once. Patti is also called as Panna.
- Open Result and Close Result – Matka betting’s outcome is revealed in two parts. The first part is called the open result and the second one is called the close result.
- Single Patti – When the combination has no repeated cards, it’s called as Single Patti. For Example, 123.
- Double Patti – When the combination has a pair of same value cards, it’s called Double Patti. For example, 112.
- Triple Patti – When all three cards in the combination are the same, it’s called the Triple Patti. For example, 111.
- Cycle Patti – The last two digits of the patti are together called as the cycle patti or the cp. For example, for a patti of 128, the cycle patti will be 28.
- Farak – The farak is nothing but the difference between the close result and the open result.
- Berij – The last digit of the jodi’s sum is called the Berij. For example, if you get a pair of 76, then it’s sum is 7+6 = 13. The last digit of this sum is called Berij, which, in this case, is 3.
How to Play Satta Matka: In Detail
|Main Objective: The main objective in a game of Satta Matka is to correctly guess the numbers of the day that haven’t been drawn yet.|
The game’s concept is very similar to a lottery. Every day, two draws are made known as the opening draw and the end draw. The draw varies in the quantity and the number required for each specific day, thus causing a huge variance in the results.
Players bet on various chance numbers and can choose from two or three numbers drawn for that day. They also pick the opening and closing digits and the totals of the two draws for that specific day. Then, the results are announced in two phases — The first part is called open result and the second one is called the close result. Here is a step-by-step guide to playing Satta Matka.
Step 1: The first step in Satta Matka is to pick a random number. This step is also known as open-close among players.
Step 2: This step is called as the open. In this, you choose three random numbers from 0-9. Next, add the three selected numbers to get their sum. Pick the last digit of the sum and keep it separately.
For example, suppose you picket 3, 6, 2. Next, you’ll add the numbers as follows: 3+6+2 = 11. The last digit of this number is 1, so your set of lucky numbers is (3, 6, 2*1).
Step 3: This step is called the close, but it’s steps are similar to that in the previous step. Assume that you picked 4, 1, 7 for your second draw. Next, you’ll add them to get 4+1+7 = 12. Setting the last digit aside, your second set of lucky number is (4, 1, 7*2).
Combining the two sets of lucky numbers, your overall card will like: (3, 6, 2*1X4, 1, 7*2).
Step 4: This is the step where the outcome is determined. There are various rate payouts in Satta Matka, ranging from 9/1 to 999/1. Depending on what the bookie or online website allows, you can bet on the chance of all numbers turning up on the first, last, or any other type of bet.
|Note: Since in the game of Satta Matka, neither the bettor nor the bookie has the advantage, the betting agent should take a maximum of 5% of your wager amount. Thus, the bookie should take home 5% of every rupee wagered.|
Tips to play Satta Matka
So you’ve learned all about the history, terms, and rules of Satta Matka. Though they’re enough to familiarize you with this game of chance, you are nowhere close to being a master. For that, you’ll need practice. You’ll have to practice with a lot of friends and learn all the rules by heart. Only then will you come close to beat the game. However, until you become a master, we hope these tips will give you a shortcut to victory.
- Play with what you can lose – Similar to all games of chance, Satta Matka is inherently risky. Therefore, you should never play it with the intention of winning money. Instead, you should only play for fun and bet an amount you’re comfortable parting with.
- Discard streaks – Just because you’ve two or three times in a row doesn’t mean you’ll win again. Don’t take your past performance into consideration while placing Satta Matka bets.
- Never go all in – As mentioned before, Satta Matka is a game of chance. Thus, you should never go all in no matter how confident you’re feeling. Take a deep breath and don’t let yourself be carried away in the energy.
- Avoid bogus strategies – You’ll come across a number of players who will proudly describe you their Satta Matka strategy at length. But it’s important that you don’t fall prey to the Gambler’s Fallacy.
The Gambler’s Fallacy is the mistaken belief that if something happens more frequently than normal during a given period, it will happen less frequently in the future (or vice versa). During a Satta Matka game, you should maintain the mentality that “No round or outcome is influenced in any way, shape, or form by its previous rounds or outcomes”. Then, you’ll realise that no strategy will work for such a random game.
- Take breaks – Gamblers often tend to chase losses after a series of disappointing games. You can avoid this by playing in sessions. Take only a certain amount of money for each session, and after each one, take a break from playing. When you start the next round, start fresh.
- Try free matka gambling websites – Understanding the rules of Satta Matka is extremely important for winning it. The best way to understand is by practicing on free matka gambling sites. These websites let you play for free and all you have to do is sign up. Here you can practice the game and learn from other players as well. Once you’re confident enough to start playing for real money, simply top up your casino account and start playing.
Satta Matka FAQs
1. What do I need to play Satta Matka online?
Playing traditional Satta Matka had a lot of requirements. Players had to find the time and a place to gather. They had to have cards and one of them had to play as the game runner. But playing Satta Matka online eliminates all these hassles. In fact, all you need to play Satta Matka right now is a mobile or desktop and an internet connection. And since everybody carries these on their person these days, playing Satta Matka online is easier than ever.
2. Why does the game’s name have “Matka” in it?
When Satta Matka became independent of the New York Cotton Exchange in 1961, Ratan Khatri introduced the idea of declaring the opening and closing rates of imaginary products. They used to write numbers on small pieces of paper and put them into an earthen pot known in Hindi as Matka. Though today, we use cards instead of chits and no pot is involved in a game of Satta Matka, half of the name bears the game’s history.
3. What’s the house edge in Satta Matka?
In Satta Matka, the house has no edge over the player. In fact, both the player and the bookie don’t have an advantage since the game is completely based on chance. This is also one of the reasons why a Satta Matka betting agent doesn’t take more than 5% of the player’s wager amount.
4. Can I play Satta Matka for free?
Satta Matka is a simple game, but it does come with many terms and calculations. If you’re familiar with all of them, you can easily make mistakes and slip-ups. The best way to learn this game is by practising for free. Many websites offer free Satta Matka games for new players. You can simply sign up and learn the game while having fun. In short, yes, you can play Satta Matka for free. But don’t expect to get real money prizes from such games.
5. What are Farak and Berij?
Farak and Berij are Satta Matka terminologies that may help while playing the game. In Hindi, Farak means difference. In the context of Satta Matka, Farak is the difference between the close result and the open result.
6. How are lucky numbers indicated in Satta Matka?
The lucky numbers of a bettor are formed by combining their choices in the open and close bet. The first set of lucky numbers if formed from the open bet, say it’s (2, 4, 5*1). The second set of lucky number is formed from the close bet, say it’s (3, 4, 7*4). The final lucky numbers are formed by combining the two previously made sets as follows (2, 4, 5*1X3, 4, 7*4).